Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer
Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer (AA-T) The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer (AA-T in Psychology) is designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU institution for students who plan to transfer and complete a CSU major or baccalaureate degree in Psychology.
California Community College students who are awarded an Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer degree (AA-T in Psychology) are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU institution or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or institutions.
Psychology concerns itself with the study of human and animal behavior. This program provides students training both in pure science and in the practical application of science to matters of everyday life. This program is designed for students who seek to learn to examine psychological processes from multiple perspectives and to apply psychological principles and methods to personal and social issues in ways that promote self-understanding, personal development, and effective interpersonal relationships as members of a diverse society.
Students who complete the Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer (AA-T in Psychology) meet the lower-division requirements for transfer to a four-year program of study in Psychology.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will design and demonstrate an exercise showing how psychosocial factors influence behavior.
- Students will explain the effects of genetic and environmental factors on personality and behavior.
- Students will describe how an appreciation of cultural relativity and human diversity might enrich the understanding of psychology.
- Students will identify research models and relate the findings of research to life situations.
- Students will develop critical thinking exemplified in their uses of psychological techniques in analyzing, comparing and contrasting human behavior.
What is an AA-T
The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) is intended for student who plan to transfer and complete a bachelor's degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these transfer degrees:
- will earn an Associate's Degree from Mission College;
- are guaranteed admission to a similar major at a campus in the CSU system;
- will be prepared to start upper division coursework at the CSU;
- and will not have to complete more than 60 units after transfer.
A complete and up-to-date listing of the similar CSU majors can be found on the
To earn this AA-T, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of the following major courses with grades of C or P or better.
- Completion of a maximum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units with a grade point average of at least 2.0; and
- Certified completion of either the California State University General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE-B) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
- Completing courses that satisfy CSU’s U.S. History, Constitution and American Ideals requirement prior to transfer is highly recommended.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
Required Core Courses
PSY 001H and PSY 015H can be taken in lieu of PSY 001 and PSY 015
AND ONE STATISTICS COURSE
List A - Select one (1) course from the following:
Both BIO 011 and PSY 007 are strongly recommended for SJSU.
List B - Select any course not selected from List A or the following:
|PSY 012||Human Growth and Development (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
List C - Select any course not selected from List A or B or one (1) course from the following:
|PSY 010||Social Psychology (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|PSY 025||Introduction to Abnormal Psychology (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|PSY 030||Psychology of Addiction and Substance Abuse (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|PSY 045||Introduction to Human Sexuality (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|SOC 045||Introduction to Human Sexuality (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
For sections with honors courses, select either the honors version or the non-honors version.
Required Units for the Major
|Required unts for the major||18.0-21.0|
|GE and electives as needed to reach 60 units.|
|Total required units for the AA-T||60.0|
The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer (AA-T in Psychology) encourages students to pursue professions in or related to the field of psychology and furthers their understanding of persons, the processes by which they develop, and the effects of cultural, social, and environmental factors on behavior.