Associate in Science in Office Administration
- Contact the Computer Applications Department.
- View all Computer Applications courses, degrees, and certificates.
The Associate in Science in Office Administration is designed to prepare students to work in an office environment using computers and software packages. The program also prepares students to work in various levels of an office support professional such as an office assistant, business information worker, and executive secretary.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain skills needed to work in an office environment.
Meet the Following Requirements
- Completion of 60 degree applicable units with an overall GPA of 2.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in the major with a grade of C (or P) or better.
- Completion of the AS Graduation Requirements, CSU GE-B or IGETC
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portal to view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Courses
|COU 012||Careers and Life Styles (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|BUS 078B||Business Communications (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|CAP 013||Ten-Key Numeric Keypad (1.0 Lab)||1.0|
|CAP 033A||Word Processing - Course 1 (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|CAP 033B||Word Processing - Course 2 (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|BUS 021||Introduction to Business Computing (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|CAP 046D||Introduction to Microsoft Powerpoint (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|CAP 062B||Introduction to Microsoft Excel (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|CAP 081B||Introduction to Microsoft Access (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
Plus 11.0 to 13.0 Units from the Following
|ACC 001A||Financial Accounting (4.0 Lecture)||4.0|
|BUS 051||Introduction to American Business (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|BUS 118||Human Resources Management (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|CAP 046E||Intermediate Microsoft Powerpoint (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|CAP 063B||Intermediate Microsoft Excel (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
|CAP 045A||Introductory Microsoft Project (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|CAP 092A||Fundamentals of Web 2.0 & Cloud Technologies (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
Required Units for the Major
|Required Units for the Major||31.0-33.0|
|plus completion of general education requirements
and electives as needed to reach 60 units.
|Total required units||60.0|
Courses to ConsiderSee all Courses
Word Processing - Course 1 & 2 (CAP 033A/B)
Practice MS Word, including text-editing, formatting, storage, retrieval, printing, tables, charts, and other basic word processing skills.
Google Apps (CAP 092B)
Google Drive and Google applications. Learn to use Gmail, Google Calendar, Document, Spreadsheet, Chrome and Presenter to achieve personal and professional productivity goals.
Learning the Keyboard (CAP 010A)
Proper techniques of keyboarding are emphasized to develop speed and accuracy. Learn the "touch" system of keyboarding on the computer.
Microsoft Excel (CAP 062B)
Basic formulas, functions, charts, and formatting. Create 3D charts, use loan amortization functions, enhance worksheets, utilize functions, and modify print options.
ACC 001A (Financial Accounting)
Study accounting as an information system, examine why it is important and how it is used by investors, creditors, and others to make decisions. See all Accounting offerings.
- Computer and technology knowledge
- Reliability and discretion.
- Ability to "make things happen"
If you don't know what to major in, or you already have a major but don't know how it translates into a career, start here. At Mission we can help you research your major and career options so you can make informed decisions.Read more about career paths.
Select Jobs in the Field
- Office manager
- Sales associate
- Office assistant
- Human Resources Coordinator
- Assistant Manager
- Administrative assistant / specialist
- Legal Secretaries