Web Design Certificate
Associate in Science in Graphic Arts
The pace and volume of content production continues to accelerate. This increasing demand for content promises to keep the graphic arts field expanding with a wealth of career and creative opportunities, both in the print field as well as in digital media.
Opportunities range from electronic page layout, illustration, visual asset production, print production, image manipulation, and presswork, as well as production for the web and interactive media. This program emphasizes training in principles and techniques used in graphic art production for print and digital media, and students completing the program will be fluent in industry-standard software.
This program differs from our Graphic Design programs in that it emphasizes software training while requiring fewer units of design-focused classes. However, graphic design principles are addressed in the core classes in this program. The classes in the core requirements should be taken in the general order that they are listed.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will become proficient in software used in the print production environment and produce a long form project that is suitable for publication.
- Students will learn production techniques required in the production of digital media.
- Students will create original illustrations using Illustrator's creative tools.
This Degree has the Following Requirements:
- Completion of 60 degree applicable units with an overall GPA of 2.0.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in the major with a grade of C (or P) or better.
- Completion of the AS Graduation Requirements, CSU GE-B or IGETC.
Required Core Courses
|GDS 062||Digital Illustration with Adobe Illustrator (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 063||Typography (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 064||Introduction to Adobe Photoshop (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 066||Advanced Adobe Illustrator (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 067||Graphic Design II (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 068||Portfolio Production Studio (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 085||Professional Portfolio and Design Career Preparation (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
Plus Additional Courses from the Following (minimum of 23.0 units)
|GDS 035||Graphic Design I (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 060||Page Layout (2.0 Lecture / 1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 011||The History of Modern Design (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|GDS 055A||Design Agency and Branding (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 045||Web Design and Development 1 (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|CAP 046D||Introduction to Microsoft Powerpoint (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|CAP 046E||Intermediate Microsoft Powerpoint (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|GDS 056||Presentation Design (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|ART 033A||Basic Design: Two-Dimensional (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|ART 033C||Basic Design: Color (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 070||User Experience, Interface, and Multimedia Design (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 080||Packaging Design (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|GDS 015||Photo-Media and Social Change (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
Required Units for the Major
|Required units for the major||23.0|
|plus completion of general education requirements
and electives as needed to reach 60 units.
|Total required units||60.0|
Job Market Outlook
- Excellent IT skills, especially with design and photo-editing software.
- Exceptional creativity and innovation.
- Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- An understanding of the latest trends and their role within a commercial environment.
- Professional approach to time, costs and deadlines.
Career PathsIf you don't know what to major in, or you already have a major but don't know how it translates into a career, start here. At Mission we can help you research your major and career options so you can make informed decisions. Read more about Career paths.
Careers in DesignAt Mission College, we facilitate degrees and certificates in Digital Illustration, Graphic Arts, Web Design/Development, and Multimedia. Develop a portfolio and prepare for transfer or job interviews. Learn more about Graphic Design jobs.
- Graphic Designer
- Creative Director
- User Experience (UX/UI) Designer
- Production Artist
- Product Developer
- Art Director
- Marketing Specialist
- Multimedia Artist / Animator