Baking and Pastry (Certificate)
The Certificate of Achievement in Baking and Pastry is for students interested in entering the field of baking and pastry work in the food service industry. It covers basic skills in making bread, cake, breakfast pastries, pies and tarts, mousses and custards, and chocolates and confections with basic and essential hospitality managerial skills and processes.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to apply practical knowledge and efficiency of baking and pastry production practices.
- Students will be proficient in classical as well as modern and trend-based baking and pastry techniques and production methods.
- Students will demonstrate sanitation & safety practices as well as COVID standards as they apply to food service operations.
Meet the Following Requirements
- Complete all required certificate courses with a C (or P) or better.
- Complete at least 1/3 of the program courses at Mission College to establish residency.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portalto view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Courses
|FDR 050A||Introduction to the Hospitality Industry (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|FDR 051||Basic Food Preparation (2.0 Lecture/3.0 Lab)||5.0|
|FDR 058||Cost Control for Foodservice Organizations (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|FDR 059||Supervision Management & Leadership (4.0 Lecture)||4.0|
|FDR 073||Fundamentals of Baking and Confectionery (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 074||Intermediate Baking and Confectionery (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 078||Advanced Baking and Pastry (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 082||Introduction to Chocolate and Confectionary (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 086||Beginning Bread Making (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|INF 050||Sanitation and Safety (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
|WRK 300HM||Occupational Work Experience in HM||3.0|
Please Note: The 3.0 units of work experience are composed of 225 hours (minimum) of actual hands-on experience in various food service operations.
Optional Recommended Courses (Minimum 2.0 Units)
|CAP 010A||Learning the Keyboard (1.0 Lab)||1.0|
|CAP 062B||Introduction to Microsoft Excel (1.0 Lecture)||1.0|
|FDR 055||Procurement for Foodservice Operations (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|FDR 072||Intermediate Cuisine (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|FDR 075||Menu Planning (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
|FDR 076||Sales and Marketing in the Hospitality Industry (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|FDR 079||Introduction to Food and Wine Pairing (2.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||3.0|
|FDR 081||Intro to Wines and Spirits of the World (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
|FDR 085||Foundations for Sustainability in Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Services (2.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|FDR 096||Healthy Cuisine (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 105||Catering Management and Operations (1.0 Lecture/1.0 Lab)||2.0|
|FDR 106A||Starting a Mobile Food Business (2.0 Lecture)||2.0|
|FDR 106B||Food Trucks: Mobile Food Operations (1.0 Lecture/0.5 Lab)||2.0|
|NTR 015||Human Nutrition (3.0 Lecture)||3.0|
|WRK 300HM||Occupational Work Experience in HM||1.0 - 2.0|
|Total Required Units||32.0-33.0|
Hospitality Management Degree Jobs
- Creative problem-solving.
- Customer centric approach.
- Management skills.
- Communication skills (bilingual a plus.)
- Cultural awareness in dealing with a variety of backgrounds/customs.
- Strong work ethic and commitment.
- Knowledge of safety requirements and attention to detail.
If you don't know what to major in, or you already have a major but don't know how it translates into a career, start here. At Mission we can help you research your major and career options so you can make informed decisions. Read more about Career paths.
List of Careers in Hospitality and Tourism
- Hotel worker, including operations, front desk, housekeeping, restaurant staff, and porters.
- Pastry Chef
- Restaurant operations, including cook, server, manager, host, bartender
- Sommelier (expert in wine)
- Restaurant Owner
- Event Management
- Executive Chef
- Catering Manager or Assistant
- Hotel General Manager and management
- Travel Agent and Tour Guide
- Marketing and Public Relations