Fundamental Food Service Skills I (Certificate)
The Certificate of Achievement Fundamental Food Service Skills I can be completed in one semester. This program encourages students to compete successfully for skilled positions (beyond entry-level) within the food services industry.
This sequence of courses provides a solid foundation in fundamental food preparation as well as common operational food service practices and in guest services. To complete in one semester the required core courses sequence must be followed.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will identify the overall service objectives as they related to specific tasks.
- Students will apply basic hands-on food service skills, employing practical knowledge of fundamental practices.
- Students will demonstrate sanitation and safety practices and standards as they apply to food service and hospitality operations.
Meet the Following Requirements
- Complete all required certificate courses with a C (or P) or better.
- Complete at least 1/3 of the program courses at Mission College to establish residency.
- Requirements here apply to the current catalog year and are subject to change. Visit DegreeWorks in My Mission Portalto view requirements based your catalog year.
- Not all classes are offered each semester.
Required Core Curriculum Courses
|Occupational Work Experience||2.0|
Please Note: The 2.0 units of work experience are composed of 150 hours (minimum) of actual hands-on experience in various food service operations.
|Total Required Units||15.0|
Hospitality Management Degree Jobs
- Creative problem-solving.
- Customer centric approach.
- Management skills.
- Communication skills (bilingual a plus.)
- Cultural awareness in dealing with a variety of backgrounds/customs.
- Strong work ethic and commitment.
- Knowledge of safety requirements and attention to detail.
If you don't know what to major in, or you already have a major but don't know how it translates into a career, start here. At Mission we can help you research your major and career options so you can make informed decisions. Read more about Career paths.
List of Careers in Hospitality and Tourism
- Hotel worker, including operations, front desk, housekeeping, restaurant staff, and porters.
- Pastry Chef
- Restaurant operations, including cook, server, manager, host, bartender
- Sommelier (expert in wine)
- Restaurant Owner
- Event Management
- Executive Chef
- Catering Manager or Assistant
- Hotel General Manager and management
- Travel Agent and Tour Guide
- Marketing and Public Relations