IGETC Requirements


The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses prospective transfer students may complete to satisfy the lower division breadth/general education requirements at both the UC and the CSU. The IGETC is most helpful to students who want to keep their options open - those who know they want to transfer, but who have not yet decided upon a particular institution, campus, or major. Students who intend to transfer into a high unit major or one that requires extensive lower division preparation, such as engineering, should concentrate on completing the many major preparation courses.  IGETC consists of the following:


  • Area 1A, 1B, 1C - English Composition / Critical Thinking / Oral Communication (9.0 units)
  • Area 2 - Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning (3.0 - 5.0 units)
  • Area 3 - Arts and Humanities (9.0 units)
  • Area 4 - Social and Behavioral Sciences (9.0 units)
  • Area 5 - Physical and Biological Sciences (7.0-9.0 units)
  • CSU American History and Institutions graduation requirement (6.0 units). STRONGLY RECOMMENDED PRIOR TO TRANSFER


  • Area 1A, 1B - English Composition / Oral Communication (6.0 units)
  • Area 2 - Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning (3.0 - 5.0 units)
  • Area 3 - Arts and Humanities (9.0 units)
  • Area 4 - Social and Behavioral Sciences (9.0 units)
  • Area 5 - Physical and Biological Sciences (7.0-9.0 units)
  • Area 6 - Language other than English (0.0 - 5.0 units)


IGETC for STEM is a separate IGETC track available for students planning to major in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics which will allow them to defer all of the following until after transfer:

  • One course in Area 3
  • One course in Area 4
  • One course in Area 6 (for UC-bound students who have not satisfied it through proficiency)

These deferred lower division courses must be replaced with calculus and/or science courses required by the major before transfer. As of May 2015, UC will accept IGETC for STEM only if a student is earning an associate degree for transfer (ADT) in Biology or Chemistry at a community college that offers IGETC for STEM as an option for those degrees.

 At least 60 UC TRANSFERABLE UNITS of Major and GE courses with a grade of "C" (or "P") are required for transfer.

Some majors include courses that meet both GE and major requirements. This is referred to as “double-counting.” It’s recommended that students work with their academic advisor or transfer counselors to identify which courses can satisfy both GE and lower-division major course requirements.

Potential transfer students should:
  • meet with a counselor to create a COMPREHENSIVE EDUCATIONAL PLAN (CEP) that will assist in identifying appropriate major and GE requirements;
  • with a counselor’s assistance, determine eligibility for an Associate’s Degree and/or an Associate’s Degree for Transfer.

IGETC General Education Certification

IGETC certification verifies that a student has completed all lower division general education requirements for the CSU and UC. Students should request IGETC Certification when official transcripts are requested.  Certification is reported on your official transcript but does not replace an official transcript.  There are three types of certification:

FULL Certification   Granted when ALL GE areas have been completed.  Students with FULL certification will not have to complete additional lower division GE requirements after transfer to the CSU or UC.  However, students will be responsible for additional upper division GE requirements (typically 9 semester/12 quarter units) after transfer.  Full certification is strongly recommended for most transfers but IGETC for CSU Certification is REQUIRED for students pursuing an Associate Degree for Transfer.
PARTIAL Certification             Partial certification is defined as completing all but two (2) courses on the IGETC pattern.  Students who do not complete IGETC before transferring will be required to satisfy the remaining lower-division general education/ breadth requirements after transfer.  PARTIAL certification may be the best option for students pursuing high-unit majors.

IGETC FOR STEM Certification  Allowable for students pursing the Biology AS-T only.  Granted when all areas of GE have been complete except one course in Area 3, one course in Area 4 and Area 6 (for UC-bound students).  Students who complete IGETC for STEM will be required to satisfy the remaining lower-division general education/ breadth requirements after transfer.
IGETC for ADTs Completion of CSU GE-B or IGETC for CSU is required for all Associate Degrees for Transfer and both of these patterns require Oral Communication (CSU GE-B Area A1 and IGETC Area 1C). However, UC-bound students may get IGETC Area 1C waived by completing the IGETC Area 1C Waiver.

Certificate of Achievement in Transfer Studies

Students who obtain FULL certification are eligible for a Certificate of Achievement in Transfer Studies - IGETC.  Students may apply for this award when applying for their degree at in the MC Portal.  VIsit http://graduate.missioncollege.edu for additional graduation information.

Additional Notes:

  • At least nine semester units of upper-division coursework will be required after transfer.
  • Transfer students may earn general education or lower-division major credits by taking a UC-accepted external examination such as Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB). Each campus in the UC  system determines how it will apply credits earned by external examinations toward the degree major.  See Credit for Exteral Coursework and Exams  to determine how Mission College applies credit for external examinations.
  • Requirements are subject to change. Visit the ASSIST website at WWW.ASSIST.ORG for a complete listing of UC transferable courses as well as updated general education and major requirements.

 Frequently Asked Questions About IGETC 

Is IGETC right for me?  Maybe. The IGETC is advisable for students who have not yet decided on a major or a particular campus and who want to keep their options open before making a final decision about transferring to either a UC or CSU campus.  IGETC is not advisable for students who choose majors with substantial lower division prerequisites, such as engineering or science.  See chart below.

Do I have to complete IGETC to transfer to a CSU or UC?  No. The IGETC is not a requirement for transfer to CSU or most UCs (check with www.uctransfer.org for exceptions), nor is it the only way to fulfill the lower-division, general education requirements.  Depending on a student's major, the student may find it better to take courses fulfilling the CSU's General Education requirements or those of the UC campus or college to which the student plans to transfer.  

I have completed courses at other colleges.  Will they count toward IGETC?  Yes. Courses that are completed at any regionally accredited college can be used in the IGETC certification.  Students should be aware, however, that coursework from other California community colleges will be applied in the IGETC category determined by the original college.  Courses taken at a foreign institution not accredited by a US regionally accrediting association are NOT permitted for certification on the IGETC. 

Will the courses I take as transfer requirements for my major be counted toward IGETC?  Yes. UC will allow requirements completed as preparation for the major to be used in the IGETC whenever they appear, unless otherwise noted on ASSIST. 

I have passed an AP or IB test.  Can my test scores be used to satisfy an IGETC requirement?  Yes. AP scores of 3 or higher can be used to satisfy any IGETC subject area except Critical Thinking and Oral Communication.  Even though credit for more than one course can be awarded by Mission College for AP scores of 3 or higher, only one course in the subject for which the AP test was taken can be used on the IGETC.  And a score of 5, 6 or 7 on Higher Level exams can grant credit for IGETC certification. Please see the Mission College catalog for specific credit information. CLEP, SAT or ACT exams cannot be used. 

Do courses completed need a minimum grade for certification?  Yes.  Only grades of “C” or better will be accepted and Pass/No Pass courses are acceptable only if the college catalog defines credit as equivalent to a letter grade of “C” or better (as it does at Mission).  A “C-” grade valued at less than 2.0 grade points on a 4.0 scale cannot be used for IGETC certification. 

Credit/No Credit-Pass/No Pass

Courses in which a student receives a “Credit/Pass” grade may be certified for IGETC if the community college’s policy states that a “Credit/Pass” designation is equivalent to a “C” grade (2.0 grade points on a 4.0 scale) or better. It is important to keep in mind that some CSU and UC campuses may have limitations on the number of “Credit/No Credit” (“Pass/No Pass”) courses that may be used to meet degree requirements. The UC system allows a maximum of 14 semester units graded “Pass/No Pass” (Credit/No Credit) basis of the 60 transferable semester units required for admission.

There is no system-wide policy for CSU campuses. Therefore, each campus has established its own policy on limitations of courses transferred with grades of “Credit/Pass”. The information is updated annually and is available at the CSU Student Academic Support website:http://www.calstate.edu/ar/counselors.shtml.

How do I complete the IGETC?  The IGETC can be certified for California community college transfers who have also completed transfer units at a CSU, UC or independent college provided that the student has completed most of the transfer units at one or more California community colleges. Students who initially enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a community college, and subsequently return to the same campus are considered “readmits” by the University and cannot use the IGETC.  However, students who enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a community college, and subsequently return to a different UC campus may be able to use the IGETC, but students need to check with the campus they wish to attend.   

For more information about UC Transfer, visit http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/index.html  


AREA 2  AREA 3  AREA 4  AREA 5   AREA 6 (UC)